Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More Than a Quarter Century

We celebrated Matthew's birthday this weekend with family, friends, lots of good food, and some water.

"Water" was Matt's response when I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday. I found out through some probing that he meant he wanted to play in a river or a lake, so we drove north to Fossil Creek and had a great afternoon of hiking and playing in the water. Matthew loves to jump off of things into water, and he loves to climb on things, so we were happy when we found a spot upstream that provided opportunities for both. Here is Matthew doing what he loves:



(After I watched Matthew jump a few times, I thought I might want to do it, so I climbed up, swam over, and clambered down to the edge of the waterfall. Then I stood there for a long time looking down, and finally, I turned around and retraced my steps. I was NOT too afraid to do it. I just decided I didn't want to, that's all.)

For lunch we split a bag of Jalapeno chips. It was a great day, and a great finish to a three-day celebration that included Frisbee, Grandma Crosby's delicious fried chicken, cheesecake, and our nieces Raylin and Lucy trying to learn how to walk. Happy Birthday, Matthew!

7 comments:

Mike said...

Katherine I was getting so excited for you, you should have jumped! I really wish we could have come. You guys need to do it again when we can come.

Liz Wilcken said...

How fun! I'm sure I would've turned right back around too!

PS- I'll send you some hush puppies if you send me your cheetos. Those sound good right now :)

Candace said...

That jump is awesome! I only wish there were a similar video of you Kathryn :)

Wendi said...

Looks so fun! Happy Birthday Matthew. Frisbee, cheesecake, and cute little 'almost-toddlers' would make for a great few days!

ashley kelepolo said...

Hey,
I just wanted to say, I remembered your birthday believe it or not and thought of you...and then today I stumbled upon your blog. I'm glad you had a great day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blaine said...

Kathryn! I miss you so much! Both of you!!

Oh! i work with a guy who grew up with Matthew! His name is Ryan.