Friday, February 6, 2009

Soups

It's time to share a couple of soup recipes we love. They are both fairly easy to make and scrumptious!

Vegetable Soup
I found this recipe at www.foodnetwork.com (the chef's name is Ellie Krieger), but I tried to find it the other day and couldn't. I changed the recipe a little anyway, so here's my version. I love this soup because the ingredients are so inexpensive, and it's hearty and delicious!

Saute
1/2 cup onion in
1 tablespoon olive oil.
Add:
1/2 cup cup celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I like add a little extra)
1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Let the vegetables soften a little. Then add:
2 cups broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, rinsed (mash half of the beans, and put the rest in whole).
Let the soup simmer for 10 or 15 minutes, then serve with a little grated cheese on top.

Chicken Noodle Soup
This is our variation of a recipe from Betty Crocker's Sunday Dinner Cookbook (thanks, Teresa!)
We've made it several times, and it may just find its way onto tonight's menu. This chicken noodle soup has a different flavor than any other I have tasted. I think the fresh parsley and the nutmeg deserve thanks for that.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 medium green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots

Cook in a saucepan for about 4 minutes, until the carrots are halfway between crisp and tender.
Add:

2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups egg noodles

Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. YUM!

Matthew always puts some cheese on his soup. I don't think he eats soup any other way. (He loves me more than soup with cheese melted in it though. He told me so while we were dating.) It is delicious, but some people might argue that soup is better uncheesed, so that its intended flavor comes through. This is not the case with the vegetable soup. Cheese sprinkled on top is part of the recipe, and the snobbiest soup connoisseur will not regret including it.




1 comment:

Wendi said...

Mmmm!! I'm going to have to try those out this week. Illinois is a good state for soup lovers because it's so cold for so long during the winter. Are you guys going to still be in Utah between the 13 through 25 of June? We'll be out during that time (thought Tom's heading home the 21st or so). Yes, I'm actually bringing Tom this time. ;*)