Monday, January 26, 2009

A Shimmering Star in the Theatrical Firmament

I'll be using this post to brag about my exceptionally talented little sister. Carolyn is a very entertaining performer. Her latest success is her performance as Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie at BYU. We saw it on Wednesday, and I must say she stole the show. For those of you who have seen the movie, the stage version (and Carolyn's interpretation, especially) of Mrs. Meers is at least 10 times as outrageous as the one in the movie. These pictures from BYU's press release illustrate my point. In fact, if you can imagine Mrs. Meers from the movie, but taller, and with a personality like Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove and a fake Chinese accent, you're getting close to the hilarity of Carolyn's character.

My favorite moment in the show, hands down, was the song "Mammy," sung by Mrs. Meers and the Chinese brothers (in both Chinese and English). It had hilarious vaudeville-style choreography. I'm telling you, I'm thinking of going again just for that number.

If anyone out there is in the area and wants to see the play, I'd suggest buying tickets immediately because they are heavily discounted right now, but the discount could go away anytime (as soon as they feel like they've sold enough tickets, I guess). If you can get them before it's too late, you'll only by paying $11 or $12 instead of $21. The show runs through Jan 31.

And if anyone out there is interested in seeing the lovely Carolyn perform in the future, never fear! I'll keep the blog updated with performances she's involved in in the future. She's played roles including a dancing napkin, an ugly step-sister, a raunchy innkeeper's wife, an elderly murder detective, a mother duck, a roulette table, a popular witch, a Russian secretary ... the list goes on, and everything she does, she does with pizazz. I can't wait to see what role she'll play next!

4 comments:

Blaine said...

Hooray for your blog! You and Matt really are so great - I love the skiing picture of you too. P.S. I am very jealous of Carolyn and all of her wonderful successes! Tell her hello for me and to continue to "break a leg" in her show. I must say that it is one of my favorites.

Blaine said...

I have to comment one more time on your Venice post - oh how I love Venice! It was so fun to see your pictures - I would so love to experience Italy with you someday!

Liz Wilcken said...

I want to go again so badly!!! My sister who came with me told her boyfriend so much about it that he wants to see it too. So they're going tonight. Another cute couple in our ward is going Thursday. Oh, to have Carolyn on tape would be wonderful!!!

It's Me...shell said...

That's hilarious that Carolyn is playing her. Love it